Prep Your Home For Sale
Please use the lists below to prepare for photography and showings. Below are some items that sellers have found helpful when preparing their home.
- Thoroughly clean the whole house (dust, vacuum carpet, mop floors, clean countertops, clean windows)
- Turn all overhead lights and lamps ON
- Replace all burned out light bulbs
- Use bulbs of the same temperature (ALL incandescent or ALL compact Fluorescent)
- Turn all ceiling fans OFF
- Turn all TV’s OFF
- Turn all computer screens OFF
- Open blinds/window treatments to let in outside light
- Remove most of your personal photographs (or replace with general landscape/object photographs)
- Make all beds
- Make sure couch pillows look presentable
- Remove all small floor rugs to reveal actual flooring
- Place all shoes/jackets in closets
“Curb appeal” – The front exterior is usually the first photo buyers see, and often what prompts them to click through to all the other photos.
- Close garage doors
- Remove cars from the driveway and front of home
- Clean up landscaping (mow, trim shrubs, clear leaves)
- Plant flowers, for extra color and an inviting feel.
- Remove empty pots or planters with dead plants or no plants.
- Use broom to remove cobwebs from eaves and door frames
- Hide water hoses as best you can
- Clean porch, tidy up anything on the porch
- Remove any balls, toys, or outside play equipment.
Should feel like a peaceful place to relax, and enjoy outdoor entertaining or barbecues.
- Clean up deck, or balcony. Tidy up outdoor tables, chairs and cushions
- Pillows/cushions should be fresh/clean and not faded
- Clear out kids/pet toys, balls, frisbees, etc.
- Clean pool if applicable
- If applicable remove pool vacuum/cleaner hose
- If applicable hide pool cleaning supplies
- If applicable turn on pool fountains/water features
- Try to hide visible water hoses
- Remove trash cans if visible
Kitchens often sell a home, even if they are outdated they should be neat so buyers can image themselves in the space cooking and entertaining.
- Clear countertops completely. No knife blocks, baking supplies, mail, clutter, etc
- Leave out max 1-2 small appliances (i.e. coffee maker)
- Clear outside of refrigerator so it’s free of magnets, papers, photos, etc.
- Hide garbage cans in pantry or closet
- Remove dishes from sink, and place in dishwasher or put away.
Allow buyers to imagine a nice family meal, holiday dinners and great memories.
- Clear table of any clutter and dust
- Use a decorative place setting if available
- Place a center piece, such as bouquet of flowers
- Straighten all chairs and space them evenly
- Remove child seats/booster chairs
The space to enjoy conversation and spend quality time with family. Keep the space clean and open so buyers can visualize their family time in the space.
- Remove stacks of magazines, papers, mail, etc.
- De-clutter fireplace mantel, hearth (not more than 5 items, including art)
- Clean interior of fireplace, and re-paint if needed
- Fluff and arrange furniture pillows
- Remove kids toys
A peaceful place to rest, where buyers like to see a clean and simple space.
- Make beds, including decorative pillows/shams if available.
- Press bed linens and bed skirts
- Clear nightstands of all personal items
- Store away phone/tablet, and charging cables
- Remove all clutter from top of dressers
- Remove family photos from walls
- Clean under bed, removing items that may show in the photos
- Remove personalized names from walls
- Remove wall stickers/posters
- Remove diaper genies
- Clean under bed/crib and remove all items that may show in pictures
- Clear countertops completely. No soap, tooth brushes, medications, deodorant, etc
- Put toilet seats down
- Close closet doors
- Remove shampoo, soap, loofahs, etc from showers and tubs
- Remove all dirty towels – leave out only new, unused towels
- Remove floor mats
Pets are great, and many people love them but their presence should be minimized
- Place food and water bowls in pantry or closet
- Place pet beds/toys in pantry or closet
- Use lint roller on furniture to remove pet hair
- Contain pets in hidden crate or outside
- Clear back yard of pet waste/toys